Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday [8]: Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.


Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects.


1. Slammed by Colleen Hoover: This one is one of my favorites books of all times. I just loved everything about it. It's a series but I've just read the first book (I need to do some catching up soon) and it was so beautiful. It deals with the sickness of a parent, with the loss of your family and how can you overcome it and move on as much as humanly possible. It also deals with forbbiden love and how devastating can be when you can have the one you really love. Amazing!

2. The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks: This book is mostly about romance but it also deals with the sickness of a parent, divorce and teenage mistakes that can change lifes. I loved this one, I found it really heart-warming. 

3. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson: Well, this one is a really fun and fast read and I even featured in the last week top ten (books when you need something light and fun) but it deals with tough subjects too and I loved it because the author can talk about the loss of a parent and the feeling of guilt without making the book a sad read. It was amazing, so if you haven't picked it up, you should, like right now!

4. Easy by Tammara Webber: This book is such a master piece. I just loved it so much. It deals with rape -a theme that most people wouldn't even talk about- in such a subtle and elegant way that it makes you understand the turmoil of emotions that being in a situation like that can make you feel but without freaking you out... I just loved it. Read it!


5. Crow Girl by Kate Cann: This book was adorable. It's intended for middle grade readers so it's pretty short and you can read it in an hour. It deals with bullying and being an outcast at that age when kids can be really mean because they just want to be accepted. I really liked this one.
 
6. Ten Tiny Breaths by K. A. Tucker: This book is about two sister who have lost their parents in a car accident and have to deal with the loss, abusive guardians, running away trying to start a new life and meet new friends who have major issues of their own such as abusive relationship and guilt struggles.
 
7. Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick: This one wasn't exactly my cup of tea. It was a little too depressing for me, but it deals with interesting issues such as forbidden love, sexual harassment and the loss of a sibiling. I found it good but it was pretty distressing.
 
8. Boys Don't Cry by Malorie Blackman: This book was really fun and light even when it deals with strong topics. We have two brothers dealing with different issues, one of them with teenage pregnancy and the other discovering he's homosexual, and both of them have to go through all that while grieving their mother's death. It should have been really intense and depressing but I found it pretty entertaining and I was able to finish it in one sitting.



9. Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles: This book deals with the aftermath of a horrible car accident: the injured girl's anger and frustration at the boy who ruined her life and the drunk driver's guilt along with the legal consequences of that night. It was pretty interesting and fresh.

10. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver: This one is pretty out there already. I didn't like it as much as most people, but I still consider it as a good read. It deals with bullying from the perspective of the bullies, so it's kind of different. The message in this book is all about choices and redemption so I thought this one should be on this list. 






What about yours? I'd love to know!

Leave a comment below. 
If follow me, tell me on your comment so I can follow you back :)



 Love,

6 comments:

  1. Before I Fall was really good, but I expected that from Oliver since she's a good writer. I really want to read Easy and Ten Tiny Breaths. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Before I Fall was good, but somehow I was expecting more from Oliver since I loved Delirium so much...
      You should definitely read Easy! You won't regret it :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I haven't read ANY of these! I have DROWNING INSTINCT, because I love Ilsa J. Bick, but I still haven't cracked it open. I'm not really into the "forbidden love" theme, especially between a child/teenager and an adult, so I'm kind of afraid I'll hate it ...

    Anyway, Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not into that theme either and I didn't hate it... I just found it too sad for my taste, but maybe you'll like it :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I have read a few of these and agree that they do deal with some heavy moments. I'm interested in reading Easy soon. And all of the books seem great.

    I am following you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read Easy! Webber is one of my all time favorite authors! I highly recommend it.
      Thanks for stopping by and for following me, I'm following back :)

      Delete