Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday [10]: Top Ten Favorite Opening Lines

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.


Top Ten Favorite Opening Lines

For this TTT freebie, I picked a topic that has always fascinated me. I’ve been doing some research, because there are so many books I haven’t been able to read yet but that I picked up because it’s blurb and first lines/first chapters caught my attention. So, in half of the cases, I’m only talking about the first line of a book, a good first line not a good book, because I don’t really know if the rest of the book is good. Let's begin!


1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
 
 “Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2) The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka 
 
“As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect."

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
3) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead  
 
“I felt her fear before I heard her screams.”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
4) Harmless by Dana Reinhardt 
 
“This is what I know about the truth: the farther you get away from it, or it gets away from you, the harder it is to tell.”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
5) Torn by Cat Clarke 
 
“A funeral without a body is like a wedding without a bride”.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
6) Velveteen by Daniel Marks 
 
“When Velveteen Monroe pictured Bonesaw’s house –and she did, more often than could be considered healthy– blood striped the paint a muddy reddish-brown, internal organs floated in jars of formaldehyde, and great big taxidermy crows leered from branches that twisted from the wall like palsied arms”.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
7) Clarity by Kim Harrison 
 
 “You don’t want to kill me”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
8) This Girl by Coleen Hoover 
 
“If I took every romantic poem, every book, every song, every movie I’ve ever read, heard, or seen and extracted the breathtaking moments, somehow bottling them up, they would pale in comparison to this moment”.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
9) Devil’s Oven by Laura Benedict 
 
“Ivy Luttrell had pricked her thumb many times while sewing, but this time, watching a drop of her own blood melt into the seam she had just finished –the seam joining the head and neck of the beautiful man whose dismembered body she had found up on Devil’s Oven– she heard her mother’s voice in her head, a voice that rose from deep in her memory.”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
10) My Ex From Hell by Tellullah Darling 
 
“Dear Your Royal Imperialness Demeter, Goddess of Grain and Fertility, Preserver of Marriage, and Bringer of Seasons, or can I just call you Mom?”

  What about yours? I'd love to know!

Leave a comment below. 
If follow me, tell me on your comment so I can follow you back :)



 Love,

6 comments:

  1. I love #2- wait to get right in there, Kafka!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Potter is the best. I need to sit down and re-read all of them again. At some point I need them digitally too.

    Tsuki’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun list! I love the start of My Ex From Hell! HP is the best and I liked Torn's, too. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Harry Potter one! Also, I love the first line of TFiOS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the opening line for Harry Potter. Hell, I pretty much love every single word of the whole series. One of my favorite opening lines is for Pride and Prejudice. I love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well this is basically my favorite TTT yet. :) I keep wanting to do the Closing Lines of Books one of these times. I adore the Opening Lines, especially your list, even though I've only read Harry Potter. These make me want to dive into the rest. Fabulous list!!

    Here's the link to my TTT!
    http://deservedly.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/top-10-songs-that-remind-me-of-books/

    ReplyDelete